The Home for Little Wanderers Public Relations And Social Media Internship
Posted by Suffolk Marketing
The Marketing & Communications Department of The Home for Little Wanderers is currently recruiting an enthusiastic and resourceful intern. The Home for Little Wanderers is a nationally renowned, private, non-profit child and family service agency. It has been part of the Massachusetts landscape for over 200 years, making it the oldest agency of its kind in the nation and one of the largest in New England. Originally founded as a orphanage in 1799, The Home today plays a leadership role in delivering services to thousands of children and families each year through a system of residential, community-based and prevention programs, direct care services, and advocacy. The Public Relations Intern will work out of The Home’s Administrative Office at 271 Huntington Ave. and may travel to offsite meetings and events with the Public Relations Manager and/or Director of Communications when needed. During the internship, the Public Relations Intern will be exposed to a variety of fields related to marketing communications including public relations, advertising, social media, and writing.
- Support the Public Relations Manager and/or Director of Communications
- Work closely with the Public Relations Manager in the planning and promotion of The Home’s Back-to-School Drive, Big Wishes for Little Wanderers Gift Drive, Stuff-a-Truck, National Adoption Month and other fundraising events and public awareness campaigns.
- Manage and route media coverage about The Home for Little Wanderers and its programs.
- Work with Public Relations Manager to update social media sites.
- Assist in writing and editing pitch letters and producing materials for events and programs such as press releases, media plans, press kits, and media reports.
- Research and update media lists and other various duties as assigned.
- Shadow Public Relations Manager to gain an understanding of roles in a development/communications department in a non-profit setting.
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
Excellent skills in organization, communication – written and verbal – and attention to detail. Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively or independently in a fast-paced work environment. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as the ability to learn and use software applications, is also required. Knowledge of social media platforms (for example, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube) and familiarity with managing photos. Interest in pursuing a communications-related career a plus. Open to undergraduate and graduate students.
How to Apply:
For consideration, please send your cover letter, resume and a writing sample to Heather MacFarlane at email@example.com and include “Public Relations Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Number of Openings: 1-2
Semester: Winter/Spring (August/September – late December 2012/early January 2012)
Flexible. Preferred time commitment of 10-14 hrs. per week for 1-2 semesters.
City: Boston (T-accessible)